Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Jeff, One Lonely Guy

Hello Divine Diva's,

Before I begin this post, I would like to say thank you for being patient with me. My computer and I do not see eye to lately and once again it quit on me. But I am back and once again hope to get this blog looking better and start posting more. Let's hope my computer will work with me now! I am still learning here as far as how to get the blog to look awesome, but I figure in the meantime, why let that stop me from writing, so here I go.

Wow, I just finished watching the Jeff Probst show about a guy named Jeff Ragsdale in New York who experienced a bad break up and was feeling very lonely, so he decided to go out to the streets of New York and post fliers that said if you want to talk about anything, call Jeff, one lonely guy.

When I first heard this, I thought wow, with computers and the access we have each day to reach out and connect, would anyone just call a phone number listed on a flier posted on the streets of New York? Then I thought would people think he was a crazy guy? I mean let's face it, how many of you would just go out and post your phone number for the world to see and ask people to call you?

I was surprised as I watched this show that not only did he receive calls, but he received thousands of calls. I believe over 80,000 he said. I believe it was one word, the word lonely that inspired thousands of strangers to pick up the phone and call Jeff, One Lonely Guy.

He received calls from all over the world with advice of how to get over his break up, but something else also happened with the phone calls he received. It turns out that there are thousands of lonely people in the world who felt compelled to pick up the phone and call a stranger and talk about their problems as well.

The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be. Anne Frank
When I first heard this, I thought why wouldn't people just talk to people they know about their problems instead of of a stranger? Then they had a guest on the show who Jeff had helped and she said that she was going through a dark period in her life and when she spoke to friends about it, they always told her what she wanted to hear and she wanted to speak to someone who was outside of the situation and as a result, she said Jeff One Lonely Guy, helped her heal. Now this guy is not a therapist or anything of the sort, but it turns out, that it does not matter one bit to the thousands of people who call this guy.

What matters, is that there was someone brave enough to not only admit that he was lonely, but he was brave enough to post his phone number for the world to see, with the hopes of maybe making a few friends out of the whole thing. What matters to people is that there is a voice on the other end of the phone. Someone who listens and someone who doesn't know them, and as it turns out this voice of a complete stranger ends up helping complete strangers that he has never met.

I love this story and just had to write about it and it really touched me that in the world of computers and chat rooms and instant messaging, people still want to pick up the phone and talk to someone and make a connection with a voice on the other end of the phone and I think that is awesome!

I think the other thing that resonated with me is that most everyone at some point in their life, feels lonely and this guy was not afraid to admit it and put his phone number out there for the world to see and call.

I am curious though, would you be brave enough to put your phone number out for the world to see? Would you speak to strangers and listen and or give advice with no charge just for the greater good of helping someone?

The bottom line is, there are millions of lonely people in the world and what I got from this story is that people really do feel more comfortable at times talking to someone who doesn't know them, someone who won't judge them, and someone who is not involved in their life. I think what this guy did is awesome and inspiring and I am so glad I saw his story today. I hope you are inspired by his story as well.


Always Remember that you are Beautiful, Strong, Powerful, Fearless, Amazing, Divine, and most important of all YOU ARE ENOUGH! Divine Diva Donna
He has a book called Jeff, One Loney Guy and you can get it here.



No comments: